Monday, July 16, 2018

From Seed to Enlightenment.

Today I'm sharing a pencili art-work I made last  year, it  was exhibited in the Annual exhibition of Artists'
Centre in Mumbai, 2017 (27 × 38 cms).

 Recently, I've been enjoying working in a smaller format,  I wanted to try the medium of
Pencil  colours which I've used here. The colouring  process  is slow as you work with the tip of the pencil,
layering in the colour, the final result is a lovely, powdery finish, with the white and the grains of the paper
showing through.


The use of the lotus and myself in meditation comes from my practise of Vipassana, a form of Buddhist meditation,
which anyone can do and is open to all. In most images of deities, Buddha and Bodhisattvas, both  Hindu and Buddhist
you will find they are seated on a fully  bloomed lotus.
For me, the novice who has just begun on the path or taken a few steps, I find the lotus pod, holds great meaning,
first of all I love its shape, round and holding many seeds, so much potential. Recently, it has become a more common
motif in my drawings, and other works. Hence, I find it is a more appropriate symbol here.

The pod blooms into a lotus pod, resting in the meditator's hand,  when watered with meditation and teachings.  Above looms
 the lotus, a symbolic aspiration of any practioner~ nirvana/nibbana/ enlightenment.

The moon is something I like to watch and shows the passage of time, witness to the meditator's journey, which is sometimes
smooth and sometimes rough.


Hope you enjoy this little pencil work.

Do share your thoughts below in the comments.
For any inquiries  please email me.

Have a good week !

~

No comments:

Post a Comment