Saturday, July 25, 2020

Eye drawing, symbolism.



Hello, just popping in for a bit to share some line art I made the other day in my sketch pad. Lately, I've been thinking about the eye,  its shape, and symbolism. Drawing this is adding a new element to my art. Will this recur? I don't know, but the eye is certainly intriguing me a lot. 

After I made this line art, I went looking for more information on the internet and I stumbled upon a religious history expert Arnie Wiig (pity he has only a few English videos). Now for me I draw/ sketch first, then read into its meaning as I process the art work. I realised after hearing his video, presentation that I had included symbols of sacred geometry.  For e.g: the ancient symbol for the sun is a circle with a dot within, which looks so much like a pupil of an eye, and the ancient Egyptian God Horus was also depicted by an eye. (Forgive me if I make any mistakes here as I'm recalling from memory and more so I'm no history expert, just an artist trying to make sense of her art.)

The triangle is alsoaalso interesting symbol, it's three sides, points representing the holy trinity which is found in many cultures and religions, in Hinduism we have  Brahma, VishnuaVishnu  Mahesh, in Christianity there is the father, son and the Holy Spirit, and in Norse mythology - Odin, Vili and Ve.

In everyday context too, when weswe to someone proper eye contact is so important, it is like peering into one's mind or consciousness. 

Then there is the third eye, the eye that sees from within.

 This is just the tip of the iceberg,  and there's plenty more to think over a cup of tea, sketchpad and a pen in hand. If you know of any site I can read more on please do recommend.

Hope you are doing well as we slowly come out of this pandemic and start living a new normal. 

Bye for now!
Sabrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment